French bakery in Vancouver of all places!
Oh did I say we have a French bakery in our building? It's really good, albeit a bit pricier than in Paris. On the other hand, everything here is more expensive than in Paris, with the exception maybe of household appliances and gas. -- Back to the bakery: what a funny surprise the first morning here, when we walked out onto the street in quest for food, and before even walking ten steps, walked in to be greeted with "Bonjour Madame", to which I replied, much to the baker's surprise with "Bonjour Monsieur". Oh, and he even has a play area for kids, and makes coffee, and has tables to sit down at. Speaking French, talking with a fellow immigrant, but one who's been in Canada for over twenty years, good bread, viennoiseries, and patisseries: not much could have been better on our first morning here. Little Jo loves to check in with the baker every morning -- and I must say I value both the products as well as the advice and the pleasantries we exchange.
Glorious sunshine for the last couple of days, and a light drizzle today: had to come som time, seen as we moved to the rainy city!
So far, when Jo and I wait for the schoolbus to pick him up, we waited without getting wet. Come Monday, things will be different, I fear. Oh well. Good to start the waiting for the schoolbus without the rain.
Monday morning, I will start work again. Vow -- it seems like a little eternity that I last worked. And sooo many things done in this time. I will buy a car later today -- my third car. I buckled and gave up the idea of doing everything with car sharing as we did in Paris: just too little convenience in public transport, meaning that I will use the car every day to pick up Jo from after-school care in the evening at 6 pm. I have the very vague project of maybe biking there (about 20 minutes uphill) and putting him in the trailer to get back home. But of course, can't possibly do that before my bike and the trailer get here. (hah, I thought that was a good excuse to get out of actually doing any sports).
Hm, what's up right now:
today is the birthday party (the second one this year). -- and I can't help but notice all the differences in how things are done here versus how things are done in Paris. Apparently, here, the parents stay for the party. Apparently also, here, one hires an entertainer to entertain the kids. -- Which makes sense, seen as I wonder how I will manage to entertain the parents, all of who I will meet for the first time, and manage to play games with the kids at the same time. And of course, it means double the amount of food, because apparently, parents expect to be fed as well. --None of this is bad, just takes adjusting on my part, and I'm glad I have people I can ask about these things.
Before the birthday party, I will put a deposit on a car -- Yeah, I found a reasonably priced Honda Civic, or rather, a friend found it for me. In order to put a deposit on the car, will have to go get cash first. And, if I'm already at the bank, I might as well get a money order, too. So many things to learn.
Also, we will need to do some last minute shopping for the birthday party, prepare all that food, of course set up the room (I've rented a room in the community center: lots of room for all our games, activities, and just for play -- and easy clean-up).
You are so lucky to have a French backery in your building, I'm jealous!! Thanks for your trilingal blog, it pushes me to practice my German again :-)
ReplyDeleteCécile / www.2vancouver.com